All information on applying for a visa to Belgium and Luxembourg.

Visa for Luxembourg

How to apply for a visa for Luxembourg?
  1. Last updated on


Persons residing in Canada are allowed to enter Luxembourg for an essential or non-essential purpose, provided that they meet the travel requirements issued by Luxembourg. 

For more information on the documents required to board a flight to Luxembourg with regard to COVID-19, please visit  the website of the Luxembourg Gouvernment

The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg is not represented in Canada. 

Depending on the type of visa you apply for, you will have to address your file either to the Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal (Canada) or the representations of Luxembourg in the United States of America. 

Where to apply

Short Stay

The Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal is responsible for short stay visas to Luxembourg. 

No queries related to visas should be sent to the Embassy of Belgium in Ottawa or to honorary consulates. The Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal is the exclusive provider of visa services in Canada for short stay visas for the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. 

Long Stay

For the Working Holiday Program between Luxembourg and Canada, your contact point is the Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal. 

Any other applications for a "Long Stay" in Luxembourg should be addressed to the representations of Luxembourg in the USA: the Embassy of Luxembourg in Washington DC or the Consulates General of Luxembourg in New York and San Francisco. For further information go to the website of the Embassy of Luxembourg in Washington

Categories of visa

Which nationalities are subject to a visa? 

Short Stay (< 90 days) 

Any stay of maximum 90 days in Luxembourg is a Short Stay. 

If you wish to stay in Luxembourg for up to 90 days in any 180 days period, you may have to apply for a Schengen visa (Short Stay visa or C visa), depending on your nationality. 

Do you need a Short Stay visa? 

  • Nationals subject to a Short Stay visa: visa obligations
  • Canadian citizens: Canadians are exempt from Schengen visas. Travel is authorised for up to 90 days over 180 days in the Schengen area without a visa. 

Determine the duration of your stay 

If you have recently traveled to the Schengen area, please mind the above-mentioned rule of 90/180 days: you may plan your next trips and visa application using the Schengen Calculator.

Apply for a Short Stay visa 

Applications should be made from your country of residence. 

To apply for a Short Stay visa, please: 

  • Start by filling out and submitting your application form online: 
  • When you have completed your electronic application form on VisaOnWeb, make an appointment online. Choose the next available slot that suits you. Do NOT contact the Consulate General to get an appointment. 

Kindly note: any Schengen visa application must meet minimal requirements to be deemed admissible. 

Your application file must contain the following elements to be registered: 


Your travel document and residence status should be valid.

The passport or travel document has to be valid for at least 3 months after the intended date of return from the Schengen countries; it shall contain at least 2 blank pages (both sides) and have been issued within the previous 10 years. 

Status in Canada 

Copy of your PR-card, work permit, study permit... and, depending on your citizenship, a valid Canadian visa. 
A Canadian visa has to be valid for three months after the intended date of return from the Schengen countries.  


Your form should be properly filled out online, then printed, dated and signed. 
Please include your email address on your form if you accept communications by email. 


Include 2 recent pictures (EU or Canadian passport format, in color on white background) 

Return envelope 

A prepaid and self-addressed return Xpresspost envelope. 


Your fingerprints and picture will be taken during the appointment. 
Your biometric data will be stored in the Visa Information System (VIS) for 5 years. 


The visa handling fee must be paid. Fees for Luxembourg correspond to the fees for Belgium. 

See Consular fees 

Your file will be analysed on the basis of the documents supporting your application file. 
Your supporting documents should be presented at the time of application as well.  

Supporting documents: list of documents for standard applications 

A standard application file should be composed of a set of documents, depending on the aim your stay. 

You may refer to the lists available for Belgium below to prepare your file. The conditions and requirements are equivalent: 

Long Stay (> 90 days) 

The Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal does not represent the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg for any stay exceeding 90 days, except for the Working Holiday Program.

To apply for the Working Holiday visa for Luxembourg, please follow this link

For any other Long Stay visa, please contact the nearest diplomatic representation of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg in the United States of America.