All information on applying for a visa to Belgium and Luxembourg.

Visa for Belgium

How to apply for a Belgian visa.
  1. Last updated on

Where to apply?

Visa applications must be lodged from your country of residence. You should apply from Canada only if you are a temporary or a permanent resident in Canada or if you hold a travel document issued by Canada, for instance if you are a protected person. Applications by non-residents can only be accepted in duly justified cases of force majeure.  

In Canada, your contact point is the Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal

The Consulate General is the exclusive provider of visa services in Canada for:  

Therefore, no queries related to visas should be sent to the Embassy of Belgium in Ottawa or to Belgian Honorary Consulates. 

What type of visa do I need?

Airport Transit 

An Airport Transit Visa (ATV = Type-A Visa) is a visa valid for transiting through the international transit areas of one airport of the Schengen Member States, including Brussels-National Airport (Zaventem). This visa does not enable entry into the Schengen area. 

Do I need an Airport Transit Visa?  

The following categories of travelers benefit from an exemption and do not need an Airport Transit Visa: 

  • Canadian citizens;  
  • Permanent residents of Canada traveling with a valid Permanent resident card;  
  • Travelers with a valid visa for Canada, who are traveling to or returning from Canada; 
  • Holders of a diplomatic passport; 
  • Family members of an EU citizen. 

If you have to leave the international airport transit zone (changing terminal or leaving the airport) or if you are transiting through more than 1 airport in the Schengen area (multiple stop-overs in European airports), you must apply for a Schengen visa. 

For further information on transits in Belgium, please check this page

Short Stay (< 90 days) 

Any stay of maximum 90 days in Belgium is considered a "Short stay". 

If you wish to stay in Belgium for up to 90 days in any 180 days period, you may have to apply for a Schengen visa (Short stay visa or Type-C visa), depending on your nationality. 

Do I need a Short stay visa? 

  • Nationals subject to a short stay visalist of third countries 
  • Canadian citizens: Canadians are exempt from Schengen visa. Travel is authorised for up to 90 days over 180 days in the Schengen area without a visa.  
  • Refugees or undetermined nationality: bearers of a travel document for Refugees or a Certificate of identity issued by Canada are subject to a short stay visa if they wish to travel to Belgium. 
  • Diplomatic and service passportsexceptions and special categories 

Determine the duration of your stay 

If you have recently traveled to the Schengen area, please mind the above-mentioned rule of 90/180 days: the Schengen Calculator will help you prepare your next trips or visa application. 

Long Stay (> 90 days) 

Any stay of more than 90 days in Belgium is considered a "Long stay". 

You will have to apply for a "Long stay" visa (also called Type-D visa). Application procedures vary depending on the category of the visa. Go to the "Long stay visa" page. Determine the category corresponding to your situation. Then prepare your application file with the necessary supporting documents.