Embassy and Consulates of Belgium in Canada
Home Travel to Belgium Visa for Belgium Long stay visa (D-visa)

Long stay visa (D-visa)


1. General information
2. Where and how to apply
3. Processing times
4. Apply for a visa (fees and procedure)
5. Useful links and information

1. General information

A long stay visa is required for many nationals, including Canadians, who wish to stay in Belgium for more than 90 days. Please note this is not a Schengen visa.

This visa is not required for citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway and Switzerland.

Applications should be made from your country of residence.

2. Where and how to apply

You should fill out an application form online, print it out and add it to your visa application package.https://visaonweb.diplomatie.be/en     

When your application file is ready, you can either

  • make an appointment on visaonweb in order to lodge your application in person 


  • send your application by registered mail to the Consulate General. If you choose to send your application by registered mail, you can disregard the functionality “make an appointment”. 

Long stay visa applications shall be lodged no more than six months before the start of the intended visit.

3. Processing times

Processing times depend on your D-visa category and vary according to the time of the year and workload.

Your passport is needed to register your application and at the end of the procedure if your visa is granted. You may take it back while your file is under analysis, if needed.

Please always include a prepaid and self-addressed return envelope (Xpresspost or FedEx, UPS, Purolator) or waybill to your application package for the return of your passport and other official documents.

Please visit the website of the Immigration Office for further details on current processing times (in French). 

4. Apply for a visa

To prepare your application file, please review the following requirements and lists of documents below.

4.1. Fees

In general, two sets of fees have to be paid for a D-visa application: the administrative fee and the consular fees.

1. Administrative fee

An administrative fee, which covers the treatment of most long stay visa applications, must be paid by the applicant or by a third party prior to applying for your type-D visa.

Payment should be wired in euros onto the bank account of the Immigration Office in Belgium.

The proof of this wire transfer has to be provided with the visa application. Otherwise, the application will be rejected or not accepted.

For practical information on how to pay the administrative fee, use this link (in French).

2. Consular fees

In addition to the administrative fee, consular fees must be paid to the Consulate General at the time of application.

Consular fees must be paid in Canadian dollars by money order or bank draft. Cash sent by mail, will not be accepted. If applying in person, payment can also be made by card at the counter.

For practical information on consular fees, follow this link.

4.2. List of documents

The main immigration categories are listed below.

Information on all categories is available on the website of the Immigration Office.
Some information is temporarily unavailable in English: all requirements are however available in French or Dutch.  

  1. Tourism
  2. Work
  3. Studies
  4. Trainees
  5. Family reunion / reunification
  6. Research

1. Tourism

The working holiday program is currently the single long stay visa category for touristic purposes.

Working Holiday Program Belgium/Canada

2. Work

Single permit procedure for employees, interns, professionals who need a work permit

The single permit procedure established in 2019 is a fast-track procedure that allows employers to request a work permit for most of their employees and a pre-authorisation for them to stay in Belgium.

Before applying for your visa, you should obtain the following authorisations from Belgium:
(1) the targeted Region will grant a work authorisation 
(2) the Immigration Office will provide an authorisation to stay in Belgium
(3) the Immigration Office will deliver the single permit (annex 46)

The work visa should only be applied for when the single permit has been granted.

Single permit procedure in French
Single permit procedure in Dutch

For information in English, please contact your future employer.  No information can be provided by the Consulate General.

Self-employed workers

In order to live as a self-employed professional in Belgium, you should apply for a professional card.

You should hand in your application (and a copy thereof) at the Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal, with a police certificate, consular fees and a copy of your passport. The Consulate will transfer your file for decision to the responsible Region.

If the professional card is granted, you can present the visa application.

information for self-employed workers is available on the website of the Immigration Office and the websites of all Regions.

Immigration Office: professional card in French
Immigration Office: professional card in Dutch

Region of Brussels-Capital
Walloon Region 

3. Studies

To apply for a student visa, you should be able to provide an admission letter showing that you are enrolled as a regular student or an exchange student in an academic institution in Belgium.

Please review the following categories and documents:

3.1 University students – studying in a public academic institution

University students or equivalent studies in a public academic institution should follow the list of documents established by the Consulate at the following link for a quick assessment of their file:

University students,  PhD, Master

/!/ Contrary to what is indicated in the visa application confirmation email that you will receive, it is not necessary to make an appointment to submit the complete file to the Consulate. The complete file can be sent by post.

3.2 High school students

Students enrolled at high school level with a programme of AFS, Rotary, or a similar organisation should apply as directed at the following link.

High school exchange students (AFS, Rotary, YFU etc)

/!/ Contrary to what is indicated in the visa application confirmation email that you will receive, it is not necessary to make an appointment to submit the complete file to the Consulate. The complete file can be sent by post.

3.3 Students in a private academic institution

The conditions somewhat differ in the private sector and the process may be longer than for studies in the public schooling system. In order to hand in a complete application file, please visit the website of the Immigration Office (in French).

Processing time of a visa application for studies

It is recommended that the student applies for a visa as soon as possible and ideally before Friday 30 July 2021.

According to Article 34 of Directive 2016/801, the decision must be taken at the latest within 90 days from the date of submission of the complete request. Although this deadline is not yet written into the Act of 15 December 1980, the Immigration Office is doing its utmost to make its decision within the deadline set out in the Directive.

As the deadline for enrolment in all higher education institutions is 31 October, a complete visa application should therefore be submitted ideally before 30 July 2021.

Given the large volume of visa applications to be processed in a short period of time, the Immigration Office cannot guarantee that a decision will be made on a date that will allow the student applicant who has submitted his or her visa application after 30 July 2021, to travel to Belgium and enrol in a higher education institution before the weekend of 30 & 31 October 2021


4. Trainees

Trainees should submit a work permit or a proof of exemption, along with their visa application. Point 2 – work provides more information on how to apply for a work permit.

The Lojiq covenant is considered proof of exemption. For a visa application as a trainee selected by the Offices jeunesse internationaux du Québec (LOJIQ), please refer to

Visas pour OQMJ/ LOJIQ (information in French)


5. Family reunion / reunification

If you want to be reunited with your family in Belgium, you can apply for a family reunion/reunification visa.

The visa requirements and process times vary greatly, mostly according to your partner’s nationality and status in Belgium as well as your family link.

Please visit the website of the Immigration Office for further information:

Family reunion / reunification in French
Family reunion / reunification in Dutch

Family members of EU citizens living in Belgium (except for Belgians) benefit from special regulations. Please mind Directive 2004/38/EC.

6. Research

If you have a research agreement with a recognised institution in Belgium to do research, you should apply for a scientific visa.

Please verify the framework of your stay with your hosting institution before applying for your visa. You may be exempt from part of the fees.

Information on the scientific visa is available at http://www.belspo.be/

If you are doing a PhD in Belgium, please refer to the “Studies” section above.


5. Useful links and information


Forms should be filled out online: https://visaonweb.diplomatie.be/en    


In the framework of some visa applications, some documents should be legalized (authenticated) by the Consulate. The legalisation fee is $32CAD per document. Any document to be legalized must have been issued in the past 6 months.

Some documents, such as police certificates, should first be authenticated by Global Affairs Canada before they can be legalized by the Consulate.

For more information on legalizations, please visit: https://canada.diplomatie.belgium.be/en/consular-services/legalization

Police record certificate

The Police record checks must be issued by the RCMP. Fingerprints are mandatory.

IMPORTANT: This document should bear the original signature, full name and official stamp of the authorized police officer. It must have been issued in the last 6 months. Please have it first authenticated by Global Affairs Canada before sending it for legalization to the Consulate general as part of your visa application file.

Medical certificates

Doctors have been accredited by the Consulate. To view the list, please click on the link below.
Accredited doctors and Colleges of Physicians.

In the framework of a visa application, you may also go to your family Doctor.
Please add a copy of the Doctor’s name as it appears on the website of the Provincial College of Physicians to your file.

IMPORTANT: The medical certificate should be completely filled out and most importantly bear the Doctor’s signature, full name, stamp and registration number of the Doctor.

Further information about the medical certificate (in French) .

Immigration Office

The main page of the Immigration Office website is: http://dofi.ibz.be