Losing Belgian nationality
You can lose your Belgian nationality in various ways. For example:
1. By voluntary acquisition of another nationality after the age of 18:
- If you voluntarily acquired another nationality before 9 June 2007, you would have lost your Belgian nationality.
- If you voluntarily acquired another nationality between 9 June 2007 and 28 April 2008, you would have lost your Belgian nationality only if the voluntarily acquired nationality is that of one of the following countries: Austria, Denmark, Spain, France, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, the Netherlands or the United Kingdom.
- Since 28 April 2008, if you voluntarily acquire another nationality, you do not lose your Belgian nationality, regardless of the nationality acquired.
2. By omission of the Declaration of Retention between the ages of 18 and 28 (for Belgians born abroad).
For more information on this subject, please consult : Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs, Nationality Service