Last updated on
If you believe that you have Belgian nationality by descent (either maternal or paternal) you can submit a Belgian nationality enquiry by following the instructions below:
- Complete, sign and date this form (PDF, 180.57 KB)
- Gather all supporting documents (PDF, 197.84 KB)
- Send the form with the supporting documents to the Consulate General in Montreal:
- by email: scanned copies in pdf format (ATTENTION: no more than 15Mb in total)
- by post to:
Consulate General of Belgium
1000 Sherbrooke Street West - Suite 1400
Montreal, QC, H3A 3G4
You do not need to come to the Consulate in person, nor to ask for an appointment.
A confirmation of receipt of your application will be sent to you by email.
Each Belgian nationality enquiry file is unique and requires individual examination. The processing time can be up to 12 months: this period begins on the day we receive the completed form with the supporting documents and ends when a decision is made.
Various factors can affect the processing time, including:
- the completeness of your application;
- the volume of applications received;
- the time it takes for you to send us additional supporting documents (if any);
- the need for further examination by the competent authorities in Belgium.