Identity card for children under 12 (Kids-ID)
The parents of any belgian child under the age of 12 and registered of the Consulate-general can apply for a Kids-ID.
1. How long is a Kids-ID valid for?
A Kids-ID is valid for 3 years, even when you move to a different country or to Belgium.
It is no longer valid :
- if it is reported lost or stolen ;
- if the photo no longer resembles the child;
- if it was obtained in a municipality in Belgium and you have not reported the child's move abroad to his or her municipal administration.
2. How much does a Kids-ID cost?
A Kids-ID costs 16,00 CAD.
3. Where and how to apply for a Kids-ID?
It is not obligatory to come and submit the application in person, nor is it necessary to request an appointment at the Consulate. You can send your application by mail. To do so, you will send to the Consulate General in Montreal :
- The application form in Dutch or in French, duly completed (in black ink) and signed by both parents ;
- A photocopy of the identity card or passport of the parent(s) with whom the child lives ;
- Two recent passport photos that meet the requirements ( French or Dutch) of the FPS Interior ;
- A recent proof of residence (electricity, gas, water or internet bill, lease contract, Canadian driving licence, etc.) ;
- A postal money order or a certified cheque for 16 CAD made out to the Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal (ATTENTION: personal cheques are not accepted) ;
- A prepaid registered return envelope (regional or national Xpresspost, UPS, FedEx, Purolator) addressed to the parent(s) with whom the child is domiciled, if you wish to receive the identity card by post (you can also collect it from the Consulate General).
In order to avoid unnecessary delays, please make sure :
- to choose the first language of the card ;
- to sign ( in black ink) ;
- if the child is 6 or over: to decide whether you wish to have the certificates immediately or not (see 5 below). If you wish to have the certificates, then you must come and collect the Kids-ID in person to the Consulate General.
4. How long does it take?
The average processing time is 4 weeks.
5. A Kids-ID with or without certificates?
A Kids-ID with certificates allows children of 6 or over to identify themselves and secure manner for some operations on internet.
You can request for the certificates to be activated at the time of application. If you choose this option, you will have to collect the Kids-ID personally at the Consulate General in Montreal. An appointment is mandatory.
If you do not wish to use the certificates on the Kids-ID immediately, you can have them activated later in any Belgian municipality or at a Belgian embassy or consulate. You will have to go in person and bring the PUK code of the Kids-ID (which you will receive when the card is issued).
The activation of the certificates will be done immediately and is free of charge.
6. Service “Hello Parents”
On the Kids-ID there is a telephone number (+32 78 150350), which can be reached 24/7.
If the child is lost and has his or her Kids ID, anyone who finds the child can easily contact his or her parents or trusted persons through a cascade system activated by the parents.
More information on the electronic identity card for Belgians abroad