Home Consular services Consular attestations
|IMPORTANT: You must be registered with the Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal in order to be able to request an Attestation or Extract of the population register.|
1. Available attestations
All attestations contain the following information: surname, first name(s), place and date of birth. The different attestations are:
Attestation of registration
This attestation mentions the date of your registration at the Consulate General.
Attestation of residence
This attestation mentions your current address as well the date of your registration at the Consulate General.
Attestation of residence with history
This attestation lists your current and previous addresses.
Attestation of family composition
This attestation lists all the people living at your address (NB: please mention the non-Belgian persons living at your address so that they can be included in this Attestation).
Attestation of civil status
This attestation mentions your civil status and, if applicable, the name of your spouse/partner.
Attestation of nationality
This attestation certifies your Belgian nationality and indicates when you became a Belgian national.
Extract of the consular population register
This attestation mentions: your surname, first name(s), National Register number, sex, nationality, parentage, civil status, profession, family composition, passport and ID-card details, your status as a voter in Belgium, your current address and contact details.
2. Available languages
Attestations can only be issued in Dutch, French, German or English. The Extract of the population register is only available in Dutch, French or German.
Each attestation costs CAD 30,00. It is not possible to combine any of the above attestations in one single attestation. For example, if you require an attestation of residence and nationality, it will be two separate attestations and the cost will be two times CAD 30,00.
For more information on consular fees, please visit this page.
4. How to request an attestation?
First, make sure you are registered with the Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal. If this is the case, send a request by post to:
Consulate General of Belgium
1000 Sherbrooke St. W. - Suite 1400
Montréal, QC, H3A 3G4
Please include following documents:
- A dated and signed letter indicating:
- The type of attestation you are requesting;
- The reason for this request;
- Your preferred language: Dutch, English, French or German;
- Your contact details: telephone number and e-mail address.
- A copy of your Belgian passport or ID-card;
- The payment: by certified cheque or Postal Money Order made out to ‘Consulate General of Belgium’ (PLEASE NOTE: personal cheques are not accepted);
- A prepaid return envelope (express mail service with tracking number, e.g. Xpresspost regional or national, UPS, FedEx, DHL, Purolator) addressed to yourself, so that we can send you your attestation(s).
The processing time is approximately 5 business days after the receipt of your request by the Consulate General in Montreal.