Embassy and Consulates of Belgium in Canada
Home Consular services Affidavit of support for students living outside Canada

Affidavit of support for students living outside Canada


All documents provided in an affidavit of support for students must be original and authentic. If you submit false documents or give false information, we will refuse to process your application. 

Lying, presenting false information or submitting false documents to the Consulate General of Belgium is called “misrepresentation” and is considered fraud, which is a crime under Belgian and Canadian Law. 

Affidavit of Support for Students residing outside Canada


When to submit an affidavit of financial support ?

Any person who has sufficient resources to support the costs of health care, stay, studies and repatriation of a student, during an academic year or for the entire duration of the planned studies, can submit an affidavit of financial support to cover the costs.

Please note: the sponsor can only sign one affidavit of support per year and per student. Moreover, several people cannot be sponsors for the same student. The rule is: one student, one sponsor, one salary.

The affidavit of support begins on the day the sponsor signs the document.

The sponsor must complete the affidavit of financial support and have his signature legalized in person at the Consulate General of Belgium in Montreal after validation of the file by the ad-hoc service. You need a file number to be able to present yourself.


The following procedure applies since January 2021.

The sponsor sends his file by e-mail to montreal.visa@diplobel.fed.be

In the interest of efficiency, please title your e-mail as follows:

PEC / NAME and First name of the sponsor / NAME and First name of the student / Name of the educational institution in Belgium

and ensure that ALL required documents are attached to a single e-mail. Attachments to your e-mail must be in pdf format. If your e-mail does not include the required information, and if the attachments are not in pdf format, we will be unable to process it. Any incomplete file will be automatically deleted. Finally, please note that e-mails larger than 10Mb will not be received.

Please note that, due to COVID-19 constraints on the Consulate’s operations, processing of your file might take a few weeks. Therefore, please make sure to anticipate as much as possible.

If the file is admissible, the sponsor will receive a form and will be invited to personally make an appointment with the Consulate General to sign the sponsorship (choose student legalization (sponsorship)). If you make an appointment without having received our agreement, the appointment will be automatically cancelled. If you come to the Consulate without an appointment, the file will not be received.

At this point, the sponsor must indeed present himself/herself in person at the Consulate General with his/her file in duplicate (originals and copies). No copies can be made on site. If your file is finally accepted at the end of your appointment, the originals will be returned to you and the photocopies will be kept by our services. After payment at the counter (by credit or debit card only - see consular fees), the sponsor’s signature will be legalized and the "Annex 32" Form will be returned to the sponsor who, in turn, will have to send it to the student. 

Conditions to submit an affidavit of support

The sponsor must  :

  • Be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada ;
  • Prove that he or she has sufficient financial resources to support a student. 

The amount of the NET monthly resources that the sponsor/guarantor must have is calculated as follows :

For the sponsor :


For the student


Per dependent family member of the sponsor (*) and per family member of the student who would accompany him/her.


(*) the spouse of the sponsor is not considered a dependent if he/she is working; however, his/her income is not taken into account when assessing the sponsor’s means of subsistence. 

Processing time for the procedure

The processing time for your application is approximately 2 to 6 weeks depending on the volume of applications. 

Documents to be submitted

Please note: All documents must be less than three months old when you submit your application and, if necessary, be translated and legalized. Please send all the following documents in pdf format in such a way that your e-mail comprises only 6 attachments (for point 5, please assemble all requested documents in a single pdf document).

  1. The "Affidavit of support" form duly completed and signed;
  2. The "Annex 32" form, duly completed but not yet signed; Please note The "Annex 32" form needs to be completed in the language of the city where the student will register :

Dutch form       French form 

For your convenience, you can find unofficial bilingual versions of the form in Dutch/English  and French/English. DO NOT fill these out, since these forms WILL NOT be accepted. The only accepted forms are the ones in French and in Dutch. 

  1. Copy of the acceptance letter or proof of enrollment issued by the university or the higher education institution in Belgium;
  2. Certified true copy of your passport certified by a commissioner of oaths or notarized by a notary and, if you are not Canadian, of your valid Permanent Resident Card ;
  3. Please also submit a single pdf file with the following documents:
    • Your last 3 bank statements; 
    • Your pay slips of the last 3 months;
    • If you are self-employed, proof of company registration + last year's tax return + last 3 bank statements: yours and those of the company;
    • Your tax statement of 2021 (for the year 2020);
    • In addition, if you have a partner/wife/husband who works, please provide the last pay slip of this person;  
    • If you have 1 or more properties in your name, please provide the mortgage statement(s). 
  4. Notarized declaration of your household/family composition drawn up in French. Please note: this document is not available from your province’s Registrar/Vital statistics; it must be established by a notary in the presence of the sponsor and must indicate all the people who reside at the same address as you. 
  5. CAD 30.00 by credit or debit card at the time of your appointment. (money orders of certified cheques are no longer accepted in this new procedure).